One of the things I come back to, sometimes unpleasantly, over and over with Glee and with response to Glee is “love doesn’t have to look the way you think it looks.”
This is one of those moments for me. I cannot stop fangirling it.
I would like the moment better if Kurt’s entire storyline didn’t still come down to “Be exactly who you are - oh, but no one will like you and you’ll never get any of the things you want or have been working toward, no matter how talented you are, because all they can see is who you are and that’s still wrong. But good for you for being yourself!”
Or, y’know, if they quit equating Rachel’s self-consciousness over a body part that no one but her thinks is a big deal with Kurt’s entire identity and the expression of who he is. But I gave up on that with BTW, so.
You’re not an ass, you’re just being honest. And I find that very admirable about you. I’d love to know your thoughts on the rest of the deleted scenes, even though you’ve already made your thoughts about the box scene and next season very clear.
I didn’t remember having talked about the box scene before. I think because I was out of town when that one was released so I saw it after all the flailing had died down…I actually didn’t have a problem with the scene itself. I mean, it was inherently super-cheesy, but I think Darren pulled it off in a way that only he can, and I do love the way that Blaine gets more smiley and almost giggly as the things he promises Kurt get more silly -baking him cookies twice a year? Awww. My objection is only to the idea that releasing it now somehow makes up for the fact that it was cut in the first place.
I think that’s my biggest issue with a lot of this. Releasing a scene to crazy fan-masses who lurk on the internet with baited breath for every tidbit (and yes, I consider myself part of said masses) doesn’t have the same impact as showing something on tv. The audience is a lot smaller and more devoted, and we - for the most part (don’t get me started on certain corners of LJ) are already supportive of gay couples and gay people and so forth. We don’t need Klaine’s present or Santana’s coming-out the way the rest of the country does, if that makes any sense. I just hate that we settle for scraps and act like it erases the giant wound. It’s something the gay community has done for as long as I can trace our history, and it really, really bothers me.
That being said, I oddly really loved the Quinn and Rachel scene with the dresses. I usually spend most of my time with the two of them rolling my eyes because hello there are TWO girls fighting over FINN HUDSON?! But I like feminist!Quinn the best, and it’s an example of someone who’s not a guy telling Rachel to knock it the hell off, and it makes the rest of the episode make a lot more sense.
I mostly just laughed at the Warbler number. And I couldn’t stop giggling when Blaine said he wasn’t impressed because that wasn’t classy - and being classy was why he loved being a Warbler. Yes, Blainers, because you guys dragging a bunch of girls in uniforms to a warehouse to sing a song about sexiness and have a foam party was totally classy. Just like it was super classy to sing about sex toys to beg a guy to go out with you in the middle of a crowded GAP. But Kurt’s bitchfaces were SO worth it in that scene.
So really that just leaves this scene as the one I can’t stand. And this scene, and my feelings on season 4, really do come down to the way that they’ve started writing Hummelberry. It didn’t used to be like this, I swear, and I - like many of my gay brethren - have certainly had my share of female friends to giggle with and listen to showtunes and tease with a certain amount of sarcastic disdain. I don’t hate the friendship archetype they go for here. It’s the fact that Rachel sucks all oxygen out of the room for any other character. If something’s about Rachel, no one else is allowed to get what they want or need or develop in a way they should because the show is, at its core, all about her. She’s the one we’re meant to want to root for. She’s the star. So that means if she gets what she wants, then in the name of dramatic tension Kurt can’t get what he wants. All season, their friendship has steadily moved toward her until Kurt doesn’t actually get anything out of it…and she treats him like an accessory. Who’s going to bake her a souffle if they don’t both go in? Not “What will Kurt do if he’s stuck here another year?” or even “God, I hope my best friend gets in so we can go on adventures in the big city together” - I hope he gets in because I need him to make me fabulous. And given the spoilers that have come out about 4x02 where SJP is basically giving Rachel a makeover and Kurt’s helping…I don’t need to sign on for another season of Rachel’s “struggles” being equated with Kurt’s all the time. Because they will - Rachel finally has to deal with someone telling her she’s not perfect when her dance technique is shit - that’s just like when Kurt couldn’t get a single solo his entire time through high school because his voice was too different! She can’t sing quite what she wants for an assignment - just like when Kurt didn’t get into NYADA!
IDK. I think I love the idea of Hummelberry but hate the reality even more than I hated Kurtcedes circa Duets. Otherwise I think the released scenes ranged from ‘fine’ to ‘oh Blaine you adorkable you!’ but the fact that they’ve been released after the fact doesn’t erase that they were cut. ::shrugs:: And now that this is way longer than I meant it to be and I’m sure I’ve created enough wank to consume my entire day, I’ll leave it at that.
(via nachochang)Source: bosswalds
- flamingquill likes this
- hopingfordisaster reblogged this from hummelberry
- viva-snape reblogged this from sherlock-holmeskillet
- sherlock-holmeskillet reblogged this from kendraisaunicorn
- tbearlupin likes this
- kendraisaunicorn reblogged this from quoth-the-ravenclaw
- quoth-the-ravenclaw reblogged this from allgleekedout
- imthedriver-idrive likes this
- keep-that-breathless-charm reblogged this from jensenbutt
- curls-bowties-and-coffee reblogged this from blaineankleslut
- kimcg7 reblogged this from blaineankleslut
- blitheblaine reblogged this from blaineankleslut
- acteur-dramatique reblogged this from blaineankleslut
- myelectra-heart likes this
- fairyhobbit reblogged this from hummelsings
- hummelsings reblogged this from blaineankleslut
- fangirlingisthenewsexy reblogged this from blaineankleslut
- blaineankleslut reblogged this from mellarksbreadandsons
- imnotthatgirl likes this
- throwing-sticks-at-your-head reblogged this from hummelberry
- long-live-mycrookedpenis reblogged this from secondus
- 3x22-goodbye reblogged this from struckbylightnings
- rubber-bullets reblogged this from whenidance
- leapingleezard reblogged this from bonerthatiusedtoknow
- lovemesomebowties reblogged this from heartwolf
- biebaas reblogged this from chrisxcolfer
- the-art-of-failure reblogged this from chrisxcolfer
- bowtiesandbutt likes this
- chrisxcolfer reblogged this from likeschriscolfer-archive
- luvhsyou13 likes this
- ifidonthaveyou-colfer reblogged this from colfermichels
- memeself likes this
- colfermichels reblogged this from likeschriscolfer-archive
- likeschriscolfer-archive reblogged this from chrispycolfer
- garfield-on-monday reblogged this from hummelberry
- likeschriscolfer-archive likes this
- chrispycolfer reblogged this from struckbylightnings
- le-fandoms reblogged this from crystalroden
- le-fandoms likes this
- camila-acabello reblogged this from colfer-chris
- yeahdarrencriss reblogged this from crystalroden
- crystalroden reblogged this from k-urt
- omgswanomg reblogged this from burymyvices
- rocknrollerpam reblogged this from youknowmycoffeeorderofcourseido
- youknowmycoffeeorderofcourseido reblogged this from anderhale
- chriscolfer-is-perfect reblogged this from theawesomenessthatischriscolfer
- lifeisbetterwithbaskets reblogged this from theawesomenessthatischriscolfer
- lifeisbetterwithbaskets likes this
- guiltiy likes this
- lefttherebroken likes this